The symptoms of a sprain are almost exactly the same as that of a broken bone. When in doubt, sprains should be treated the same as broken bones. The most common symptoms are:
It is not necessary to have all of the symptoms of a sprain in order for the joint to be injured.
· it has severe pain
· victim unable to put any weight on it
· it looks different than uninjured joint (swelling doesn't count)
· victim can't move it
· victim can't walk more than four steps on it
· there is numbness in any part of it
· redness or red streaks spread out from the injury.
· it has been sprained several times before
· there is pain, swelling, or redness over a bony part of your foot.
Use the RICE method to treat the sprain.